Our goals are to:
- To promote literacy by providing books and resources to in-need schools
- To create lively reading spaces through the renovation of school libraries
The objective of this program is to improve the quality of education of Vietnamese children by providing funding and strategic assistance to the libraries of partner schools.
A school’s library is often an effective tool in encouraging students to develop early reading habits. It also functions as hub for student activity. Yet, Vietnamese schools often lack the money to give students access to basic books.
- Six Turtles Library (An Giang)
- Xuan Dieu Middle School (My Tho)
- Long Phuoc School (District 9, Ho Chi Minh)
- Tam Thon Hiep School (Can Gio District, Ho Chi Minh)
- Binh Phuoc Primary School (Can Gio District, Ho Chi Minh)
Where the money goes
It takes very little to renovate school libraries and provide the resources need to make the space a thriving resource center for students.
How the money is spent:
- Books: $500 for 1,000 books
- Furniture: $450 for new shelves and student tables
- Decor: $150 for wall coverings and white boards
- Prizes for student art contest: $200 to sponsor the contest for the grand opening of the library
Criteria for Selecting Partner Schools:
- In-Need: Selected schools should serve student populations with high percentages of government poverty certifications (50%+).
- Committed Leadership: Principal and school staff must be committed to the project, the creation of new library systems and ongoing maintenance.