Our goal is to promote literacy by providing books and computers to school libraries. We want to create lively reading spaces where students can nourish their thirst for learning.
Vietnamese schools often lack the money to give students access to basic books much less educational software and computers. Some schools don’t even have libraries and rely on make-shift mobile libraries on loan from other schools.
The objective of this program is to improve the quality of education for Vietnamese children. We provide funding and strategic assistance to the libraries of partner schools.
Libraries are resources that encourage children to develop good reading habits. They are also a hub for student activity. We renovate school libraries to furnish them with new books and proper furniture (e.g. shelves, tables, etc.). Through a partnership with Technology Services Corps, computers are installed into our Reading Rooms so kids can access the Internet and educational software.
- Six Turtles Library (An Giang Province)
- Xuan Dieu Middle School (My Tho Province)
- Long Phuoc School (District 9, Sai Gon)
- Tam Thon Hiep School (Can Gio District, Sai Gon)
- Binh Phuoc Primary School (Can Gio District, Sai Gon)
- Vinh Hoa A Primary School (An Giang Province)
- Vinh Hoa B Primary School (An Giang Province)
- Phu Vinh Church (An Giang Province)
- Mỹ An Hưng Primary School (Dong Thap Province)
Where the money goes
It takes very little to renovate school libraries to transform it into a thriving resource center for students.
- $500-1000 for shelves, tables & flooring
- $500 for new books
- $300 for wall coverings and white boards
- $200 to sponsor a grand opening drawing contest
Criteria for selecting partner schools
- In-Need: Selected schools should serve student populations with high percentages of government poverty certifications (50%+).
- Committed Leadership: Principal and school staff must be committed to the project, the creation of new library systems and ongoing maintenance.
- Survey school libraries and take pictures of existing library
- Interview principal and librarian
- Accept school to renovate
- Draw up detailed budget for renovation
- Approve budget
- Renovate library
- Hold grand opening student drawing contest!